I must say I am very impressed with this manual, as I find it to be quite comprehensive for its purposes. As we have discussed in class, there is no one way to transform conflict; no defined set of peace skills. Intuition and flexibility, for example, play huge roles in the field of peace and conflict. Yet, tools for peace building, such as the ones outlined in the reading, are incredibly useful and important.
I have learned that I thrive with structure, order, and rules. Having a plan tends to set me at ease. The list of action steps for setting up a mediation dialogue on pg. 28 is something I can practically apply. It is one thing to understand how particular peace tools are meant to function, but another to have a feel for how they can be used most appropriately. The manual cannot possibly address every disruption that may occur, or speak to unique situations, but it does serve to give a community mediator solid direction. The mediator can then hold a container for the dialogue, and bring in one's intuition as well.
I had a visceral response to Chapter 2: Understanding Conflict and the Role of Mediation, specifically to the statement: "Becoming a peacebuilder is more than learning new skills and techniques; it is a way of life" (13). My reaction to this was so strong because I have noticed the disconnect between the skills I learn as a Peace Studies major and my own interactions with others. I have found that my work done in this field to this point has been incredibly helpful, and I have certainly noticed how my communication has improved and that I am much more able to take a step back from my reactionary emotions. But I am by no means conscious of my contribution to conflict or peace at every moment. The former statement serves as a very important reminder. The toolbox is crucial, but if I don't have experience using the tools in daily life, I most likely won't be able to be as helpful as I could potentially be. I must strive to live a peaceful lifestyle in order to be knowledgeable and sensitive in the community peacebuilding setting.
I was also very affected by the discussion of "Justice and 'neutrality'" on pg. 19, and "The normality of conflict" on pg. 9. One of my greatest challenges in life has been to allow myself to have opinions. The authors writes: "Rather than talk openly with others, people who are afraid or ashamed of conflict begin avoiding them, and relationships are weakened as a consequence," which unfortunately, closely describes me (9). I still have a fundamental belief (one that I continue to challenge) that people should not have strong opinions, that conflict is scary and wrong. I can objectively advocate that conflict is natural, and even important. Yet, I still struggle with the personal fear of people "fighting." I have lived much of my life in a neutral mindset, suppressing strong feelings or points of view to an unhealthy extent. The authors note: "Neutrality is never a necessary or constructive goal in conflict, particularly in relation to issues of justice" (19). This is a critical point for me. It is actually very important that I hold positions, and it's particularly important in the field of peace and conflict. I think the key will be for me to re-frame my concept of opinions...for as long as I remain receptive and open to dialogue while having an opinion, the world will not end (people won't hate me, I won't be seen as a bad and "un-spiritual" person)!
No comments:
Post a Comment