One aspect of the reading that stuck out was one pointer about the mediator's attitude. "Instead of quickly accepting the demands as stated," writes Kraybill, Evans, and Evans, "the mediator takes the role of a friendly but somewhat uninformed interviewer" (59). I could see myself feeling a bit intimidated during a mediation, wanting to "resolve" all conflict, and therefore getting stuck trying to meet everyone's demands. Kon certainly touched on this as well, as he repeatedly emphasized the importance of active listening; of paraphrasing members' responses to highlight
interests. The mediator takes the focus off of demands, and brings to light underlying interests. And this is hugely important, for those involved in a conflict come to mediation because they can't always identify their interests without a discerning third party.
Update on Moral Imagination Project:
I'm getting rather excited about this! Progress so far:
- Candace suggested I do research (obviously important), so I have pursued a bit of that; namely, I have interviewed a therapist who specializes in eating disorders, and have contacted a co-founder of the Boulder Youth Body Alliance (!!) ... waiting excitedly to hear back about the possibility of a meeting with her. If time allows, I would like to interview another disordered eating therapist. Luckily, I have a great many resources for this project, so can source from many inspiring women
- Contacting women to share their stories, give permission for photos shot from behind--with my beloved Polaroid spectra...which I still have film for in my refrigerator :)
- Doing research on recent statistics pertaining to body image
- Getting the creative juices flowing in general!
*****http://www.boulderyouthbodyalliance.org/aboutus.html
No comments:
Post a Comment