Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Nonviolent Communication

I am feeling overwhelmed by the wealth of knowledge in this reading on nonviolent communication. This set of skills couldn't be more applicable to the world at large...I certainly know I could use some practice with this technique! Once again, I am having a difficult time picking and choosing points to discuss, as everything strikes me as hugely important.
 The reading as a whole is practical as a learning tool, as it includes examples and even lists of strong emotion/need words. Reading about nonviolent communication is one thing, but reading transcripts of its use, and increasing emotional vocabulary is far more helpful!

I was very intrigued by the short discussion on "acknowledging choice" in nonviolent communication (Rosenberg 21). It is very common to feel as if we are being forced to do things beyond our will. Oftentimes, however, we have personal motives that we disguise behind our "have to's." Rosenberg writes: "We are dangerous when we are not conscious of our responsibility for how we behave, think, and feel" (21). Blaming others for our feelings/blaming others for hurting us, perpetuates violence in society!
Adding on since watching the video in class: language that "denies personal choice" is a form of jackal language. Giraffe language, on the other hand, is "always conscious of choice" (Rosenberg). 

I'm also struck by how difficult it is to separate observations from judgments! I see now the distinction between how I often use (what I thought was) nonviolent communication techniques, and authentic giraffe talk ;) I have been taught to use the formula: "when [this happens, or you say this] I feel...because...," yet I now see that I could use that formula while still using jackal language. I did not have the whole picture before, and could still manipulate others while using the the above "evolved" communication style. I am truly blown away by Rosenberg's work, and feel incredibly inspired to learn as much as I can...and then practice!

Finally, I appreciated the discussion of "stages" of NVC: 1. "emotional slavery" 2. "obnoxious" 3. "emotional liberation" (Rosenberg 56-0). I could see myself getting quite obnoxious while playing with NVC...wanting to express my emotions or try to understand others' emotions, but not quite understanding how to be effective. But emotional liberation beckons! How could I not want to dive straight into NVC? I honestly feel it would be monumental in my life...that this is exactly what I needed to hear at this juncture.

No comments:

Post a Comment